Wednesday, March 21, 2007

This Is More Like It

With two days of volunteering at the park under my belt, I feel confident in saying, "Ahhh. This is more like it."
The first half of my first day was spent touring the park, going over safety requirements, seeing where tools, plants, pots, dirt, stakes, and other equipment is stored.
The second half of the day I helped repaint the interior of the upper men's room. (There are two mens rooms - an upper and a lower)
The morning of my second day was spent in the greenhouse potting baby plants. I mixed potting soil, potted the plants, and gave all the plants in the greenhouse a drink.
In the afternoon, I went along on a parts run to Bellingham so I could see where the park service gets their supplies in case they need me to make parts runs in the future.
The park has two vehicles assigned to it. One is a Ford Ranger pickup. The other is a 1-ton truck. The Ranger has a manual transmission which apparently only 3 of the 5 regular employees know how to operate. So, it is likely that I may indeed be called upon to drive it sometime.
The grass at the park is long enough to need mowing, but the ground is still so soggy that the mowers would just churn everything into mud. The paid staff is anxious to get started with outdoor cleanup and planting but it's way too wet. The soggy sod problem is caused by a thick layer of clay beneath this entire area. It acts like a giant rubber blanket beneath the top soil. After awhile, the top soil can't hold any more water and the clay won't let it soak deep into the ground so the water just sits there.
Today I expect I will help take down one of the slides in the playground area that apparently developed a crack. Then, we're going to go through several piles of stored lumber to decide what should be tossed and what should be saved. Then, weather permitting, we may edge some of the walkways.
'Sounds like fun!

2 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger kphiker said...

that does sound like fun!! way to go, babe!

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are you working up to a time when you can present "Borderman" to the powers that be? I think they're really going to love the idea, especially if you're in costume when you present the idea to them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home