Thursday, June 07, 2007

Hands Across Make Me Throw Mine Up and Get Me Down

Next Sunday, 20,000 to 30,000 boy scouts and girl scouts from around the world (but mainly the U.S and Canada) will meet at Peace Arch State Park for their annual "Hands Across the Border" event. I think it's interesting that this event goes virtually unnoticed by the rest of the world - that is, except for all the motorists on I-5 who are delayed or rerouted when the highway is closed at the border for 4 hours during the event.
That's right folks, the major west coast border crossing will be closed for 4 hours so a bunch of grade-schoolers can exchange homemade trinkets and run amok without fear of being run over. Call me crazy. Call me an old fogey. Call me irresponsible.... er, this is no time for lyrics! But I don't agree that a major border crossing should be closed for 4 hours for ANY event other than a national emergency.
Fortunately, I have no plans to cross the border on Sunday and neither should you.

1 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,
I went to this event when I was a girlscout about 12 years old, and I had a wonderful time and I will always remember it. hahahaha. I think its kinda cool. I always think of it when I cross the border.
Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home