Saturday, June 10, 2006

Travelin' Man

I'm just back from two and one-half fun-filled days visiting friends where we used to live. The drive over the Cascades via the North Cascades Highway (20) was spectacular. Waterfalls are gushing down the sides of every mountain. The sky was bright blue, the trees a deep green, and the snow along the side of the road at Washington Pass is still about 4 feet deep. When I arrived at my destination, I sat outside with my host and his wife on their beautiful deck listening to their fountain, drinking some adult beverages, and enjoying the mild afternoon temperatures. Around 5:00, we were joined by another couple for a delicious outdoor dinner, more beverages, and pleasant conversation. I had a great time.
Early the next morning, my host and I joined our mutual friend at the golf course for a 6:30 tee time. I'm not a golfer, so I drove the cart, held the flag, kept score, and tracked the shots. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. I couldn't believe that we finished 18 holes and were off the course before 9:00! After golf, we all drove to the mutual friend's brand new house that is perched on the highest lot overlooking the golf course and the surrounding hillsides. I could go on for many paragraphs describing the house, but I won't. Suffice it to say, it's friggin' awesome.
When we finished touring the new house, my host and I went back to his house (which is also beautiful, by the way) for a quick sandwich before heading out on a bike ride. We transported the bikes to a parking lot near an asphalt trail that follows the river. I rode the same trail about ten years (and 15 pounds) ago, so I knew what to expect. What I didn't expect was how fast my energy waned. Sheesh! After about an hour, I cried "Uncle!" so we reversed course and headed for the car. As fate would have it, the minute we got back to the house and unloaded the bikes, the sky opened up and unloaded the rain.
Fortunately, the rain didn't keep my host from grilling what he calls "beer butt chicken" for dinner. Man oh man! It was delicious! The "beer butt" comes from the part of the recipe where you set the chicken over a 1/2-full can of beer on the grill. The steam from the beer tenderizes, moisturizes, and flavors the chicken from the inside out as it cooks. Ummm, good!
The next morning it was still raining, so we had a leisurely breakfast of sausages, toast, and scrambled eggs. Before long, the sky started to clear and we were off on a hike! My friend is planning to hike the Grand Canyon next fall, so he's getting in shape by hiking up a steep hill several times each week with 4 gallons of water in his backpack. He says that in addition to carrying their own water for the 4-day hike, he'll also be toting his tent, sleeping bag, clothes, and food! If four gallons of water weigh about 30 pounds, I'm guessing that he'll be carrying about 50-60 pounds when he's fully loaded! Oh, my back hurts just thinking about it! WATCH YOUR FOOTING, AMIGO!
After our hike, we went downtown where I bought a new DVD player. Then, we headed over to one of our favorite drinking establishments for a bite and to meet more of the folks we used to work with. That was really nice. We both appreciated the time those folks took from their very busy schedules to have a couple of beers with us. I had time for more than a couple of beers. Our "Happy Hour" broke up about the time the real happy hour was getting started.
My host and I drove back over to our friend's new house for dinner with him and his wife. Once again, every thing was perfect, including the weather, the food, the conversation, and the views from their deck.
Too soon, it was Friday morning and time for me to go. I took a different route back home, which saved about 45 minutes, but wasn't nearly as scenic as highway 20. When I got home and crawled out of the car, the left side of my back felt like I had been shot! Man, it was sore! I went inside, kissed my bride, and asked her to rub some Theragesic on my back. What a homecoming!
Today, the soreness is gone and all's right with the world once again.
If any of the folks I saw on Wednesday or Thursday read this entry, I want to say, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING. I HAD A GREAT TIME AND I MISS YOU ALL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home