Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Where Were You in '72?

Here's a pop quiz for 45+ year-olds: Last Friday was the 34th anniversary of a major weather event. Do you remember it?
1972 - On June 9, strong easterly surface winds pushed moisture laden air against the Black Hills. Nearly stationary thunderstorms developed and dropped up to 15 inches of rain in about six hours along the eastern slopes of the Black Hills. Record flows were reported on tributaries of the Cheyenne River including Rapid Creek, Boxelder Creek, Battle Creek and Bear Butte Creek. The flood claimed 238 lives and caused $164 million in property damage ($664 million 2002 dollars). Canyon Lake breached, adding to the wall of water that poured through Rapid City. Flow on Rapid Creek was estimated at over 10,000 cubic feet per second. Following the flood, approximately 750 acres of land adjacent to Rapid Creek was designated as a floodway.
I'd wager that, unless you were there, or had friends/relatives living there, you don't remember it - or never knew it happened.
I was in Rapid City on June 9, 1972. It was the last day of a 3-day visit to the Black Hills. As fate would have it, I overstayed my planned departure time which caused me to change my travel plans back to Nebraska. Originally, I planned to drive through the Hills and exit the south end at Hot Springs. But since I stayed so long in Rapid City, I decided to take the shorter route which ran just east of the Hills. About 20 miles south of Rapid City I ran into rain so heavy that I couldn't see the road. I couldn't even see the front of my car! It was the heaviest, most blinding rain/hail storm I've ever encountered. I crept over to the side of the highway and stopped. I sat there for at least 10 minutes hoping that I wouldn't get rear-ended by an 18-wheeler or some other knucklehead. After 10-15 minutes of torrential rain, I took advantage of a brief let-up to continue south. The rain decreased steadily as I drove farther south. By the time I got about 75 miles south of Rapid City, the rain ended and I continued to Nebraska unscathed.
Later that night, as I was nearing my Nebraska home, I heard the first news reports of flooding near Rapid City.
The next day, I learned of the disaster that cut a swath of death and destruction from Keystone through Rapid City.
I immediately recalled my original plan to drive home through the Hills, via Keystone, and I had to wonder, "If I hadn't stayed so long in Rapid City, where in the Hills would I have been when the flooding started?"
There are some shocking photos of the flood's aftermath at: http://sd.water.usgs.gov/projects/1972flood/photos.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home